SIDE BY SIDE WITH THE THAILAND PHIL
Have you ever dreamed of playing with a professional orchestra? Now is your chance! For the first time ever the Thailand Philharmonic Orchestra is reaching out to invite members of its community to play side-by-side with the orchestra. Our own Founding Chief Conductor, Maestro Gudni Emilsson, will lead the orchestra in a concert of fun and familiar music.
There will be seats available in every section of the orchestra. To apply simply post a video to YouTube of yourself performing the required audition material. As many participants as possible will be chosen to be a part of this once-in-a-lifetime experience. All ages are welcome to apply!
1. Download the audition packet for your instrument at the Thailand Phil website.
2. Record the audition excerpts on video.
3. Upload your video to YouTube.
4. Fill out the audition application form at Application Form
5. Application deadline: 27 March 2020
1. Begin your video with a short introduction of yourself and tell us why you want to play side-by-side with the Thailand Phil. Be creative!
2. Choose only two excerpts to perform on your video.
3. All excerpts must be submitted in a single YouTube video.
4. (Optional) Share your video on Facebook and other social media with the hashtag #thailandphilsidebyside. Special prizes will be given to audition videos with the most views on YouTube.
Guidelines for Making a Successful Audition Video
1. Familiarize yourself with the audition repertoire by listening to recordings. Note the style and tempo and use those ideas in your own performance. Here are some recordings to refer to.
– Holst, The Planets: https://youtu.be/Isic2Z2e2xs
– Walton, Crown Imperial: https://youtu.be/fraKCzza0To
– Williams, Star Wars: https://youtu.be/6JQOW3RfjEk
2. Practice by recording yourself several times. Listen to your recordings, note what needs to improve, then record and listen again.
3. Record your video in a quiet room with good acoustics. Be sure your face and instrument are clearly visible in the video.
4. Put your best excerpts first. If there are excerpts that you are less comfortable put them later in the video.
5. Dress well! Look your best and sound your best.
6. Be sure to test the YouTube link for your video to be sure that it works.
Information for Participants
1. Participants must be available for all of the following rehearsals and concerts at Prince Mahidol Hall on the Mahidol University Salaya Campus.
- Saturday, 13 June, 4:00 pm
- Sunday, 14 June, 4:00 pm
2. Music will be sent to participants well in advance of the first rehearsal. All participants will be expected to prepare the music to the best of their ability.
3. All written communication with participants will be via email. Participants are expected to check email regularly for updates.
4. Rehearsals will be conducted in English.